Jackson (California)
© Ken Lund
The area around present day Jackson had been inhabited by indigenous Northern Sierra Indians prior to the arrival of European and American settlers. Jackson was originally founded around a natural spring in 1848. It was known as Botilleas Spring, Botilleas, Bottileas, Botellas and Bottle Spring, but it was soon renamed Jackson in honour of local lawyer Alden Appola Moore Jackson.
Gold mines were established in Jackson and the town grew rapidly. During the 2nd World War, mining activities slowly delcined.
Points of interest
- The Amador County Courthouse
includes 2 buildings. The courthouse proper was built in 1864 and the Hall of Records dates from 1893. In 1939, the 2 buildngs were combined into one Art Deco exterion. The county courthouse is no longer in use. - The Amador County Museum.
- The Argonaut Mine.
- The Grace Blair DePue House is home to the Indian Museum.
- There is a historic Firehouse in Jackson.
- Jackson Gate was named after a fissure in a reef of rock that crosses Jackson Creek. Hundreds of miners worked there in the 19th century.
- The Kennedy Mine.
- The Memorial Clock
is located just off Main Street. - The St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church (Црква светог Саве) was the first Serbian Orthodox church in America. It was built in 1894.
Jackson is located in central California.
Images
Jackson ©Ken Lund
Memorial Clock ©Roy Digital Design
Church ©Nelson Minar
Amador County Courthouse ©Ken Lund
Jackson ©Ken Lund
