Jackson (Missouri)
© Zzyxzaa26
In 1814, the settlement of Birdstown was established in the southeast of Missouri. In 1819, the town's name was changed to Jackson in honour of Andrew Jackson, who then was a popular general and who would later become the 7th president of the United States. It was actually the first town in the United States to be named after Andrew Jackson.
In 1877, the railroad arrived and Jackson's growth accelerated.
Points of interest
- The Abraham Byrd House was built in 1827, using rough-cut limestone blocks. It is located at 2832 County Road 442.
- The Big Hill Farmstead Historic District comprises a home and farm that date from 1855. It is located at 2246 Route PP.
- The Frizel-Welling House was built in the Greek Revival style in 1838. It is also known as the Charles Welling House and the Joseph Frizel House. The house is located at 209 W Main Street.
- The Jackson Uptown Commercial Historic District encompasses 23 historic buildings, including:
- Cape Girardeau County Courthouse
was built in 1818, but it burned down in 1870. The current courthouse was subsequently built and it opened in 1908. It is located on the square in the center of Uptown Jackson. - Cape Girardeau County Savings Bank dates from 1885.
- The Jones Drug Store opened in 1871 and it is still in business.
- Kertsners's Drug Store was built around 1900.
- Cape Girardeau County Courthouse
- The McKendree Chapel resembles a log cabin. It was built in 1819.
There are several hotels and restaurants in Jackson. The city is located in the southeast of Missouri.
Images
Cape Girardeau County Courthouse ©Zzyxzaa26
Jackson ©Matt Turner
