Veliko Tarnovo (Велико Търново)
© Vaghinak Vardanyan
People have lived in the area of present-day Veliko Tarnovo since at least 3,000 BC. During the First Bulgarian Empire (7th to 11th centuries) Tarnovo was an important stronghold. The city was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire from 1185 until 1393, during which time it became an important center of culture and commerce.
This all came to an end in 1393, when the Turks sacked it and the region became part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1877, the Russians liberated the area and the following year, Bulgaria became an independent country with Tarnovo as its capital. In 1879, parliament transferred to Sofia, which has been Bulgaria's capital ever since.
In 1965, Tarnovo was rename Veliko Tarnovo (Great Tarnovo) to commemorate the city's rich history and importance.
The old part of Veliko Tarnovo is situated on 3 hills:
- Trapezitsa is the location of countless churches and the area where the nobility used to live.
- Tsarevets is the location of palaces of Bulgarian emperors and the Patriarchate, the Patriarchal Cathedral and several administrative and residential buildings that are surrounded by thick walls.
- Sveta Gora
Points of interest
- The huge fortress of Tsaravets Citadel was constructed to defend the city. It failed to do so and both the fortress and the coty fell into Turkish hands in 1393. All that remains of the fortress are some ruins. The Yantra River almost encircles them. The ruins are located on a hill, which offers good views over the foundations of the ruined Royal Palace.
- On the northern side of the Citadel hill is a bluff, where criminals were executed by pushing them into the river. The rock is known as Execution Rock.
- Gurko Street is one of the most picturesque streets in the old town. It was named in honour of Russian General Iosif Vladimirovich Romeyko-Gurko, who liberated Veliko Tarnovo from the Ottoman Empire.
- The Regional Library is located next to the Archaeological Museum.
- The remains of the Royal Palace are located in Veliko Tarnovo. The palace was once home to 22 successive tsars, thus giving the city its nickname of 'City of the Tsars'.
- The Samovodska Charshia developed as a business center during the Bulgarian revival. It is the location of numerous small craft shops, where centuries-old traditions of craftsmanship are preserved.
- Tsarevets Palace.
Museums
- The Archaeological Museum is located next to the Regional Library.
- The House Museum of Emilian Stanev is located in the former home of the Bulgarian writer.
- The Museum "New and New History".
- The Museum "Revival and Constituent Assembly".
- The Museum "Sarafkin House".
- The Museum of Wax Figures.
- The Museum Zatvor.
- The former home of Bulgarian writer Petko Rachov Slaveykov was converted into the Petko Rachov Slaveykov Museum.
- The Regional Historical Museum was established in 1871.
Orthodox Churches
- The Assumption Patriarchal Church was restored in 1981 to celebrate 1,300 years since the foundation of the First Bulgarian State. It is located on a hill above the river.
- The Cathedral Church Nativity of the Mother of God, or Cathedral Church Nativity of Mary, is located in 'Bolyarska mahala' in the old town.
- The Church of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki
. - The Church of St. Nikolay was completed in 1849.
- The Church of Saints Constantine and Helena.
- The Church of Saints Peter and Paul was constructed in the 12th century. In 1204, the relics of St. John of Polivotsky were transferred to the church by Tsar Kaloyan. Later, a monastery complex was built around the church. The complex was home to important manuscripts from the royal library, but most of these documents were destroyed by the Greeks in 1842.
- The Holy Forty Martyrs Church (църква "Св. Четиридесет мъченици") is also known as the church of the 40 martyrs of Sebaste. It was completed in 1230 and it is located next to the Yantra River in the center of town.
- The Saint George Church (църква "Св. Георги") was completed in 1230. The building was reconstructed in the 17th century and between 1968 and 1971.
- Theotokos Church.
Bridges
There are several bridges across the Yantra River, including these:
- The Bishop's (Vladishki's) Bridge was constructed in the early 1800s, making it the oldest bridge in Veliko Tarnovo.
- The King's Bridge is also known as Stone bridge. It was built in 1930 in Asenova Mahala (Old Town) to connect Veliko Tarnovo width Gorna Oryahovitsa.
- The Stambolov Bridge is an arch bridge that was constructed in 1897.
Monuments
- The Monument to the Asen Dynasty was erected in 1985.
- Monument of Hristo Ivanov.
- Monument of Independence.
- Monument of Ivan Semerdzhiev.
- The Monument of Mother Bulgaria dates from 1930.
- Monument of Nikola Gabrovski and Dimitar Blagoev.
- Monument of Nikola Pickolo.
- Monument of Vasil Levski.
- Monument of Stefan Stambolov.
- Monument of Todor Lefterov.
- Monument Velchova Zavera.
Around Veliko Tarnovo
- The ruins of Nicopolis ad Istrum (Νικόπολις ἡ πρὸς Ἴστρον), or Nicopolis ad Iatrum, are located near the town of Nikyup, 20 km north from Veliko Tarnovo. The Roman and Early Byzantine town was founded in the early 2nd century. At the end of the 7th century, the Avars and the Slavs destroyed it, after which it was abandoned.
Since Veliko Tarnovo is a university town, there are numerous bars, especially uphill from the main street. Accommodation is easily found in town. Veliko Tarnovo is located in the northern part of Bulgaria, 195 km northeast of Sofia.
Images
Veliko Tarnovo ©Vaghinak Vardanyan
Veliko Tarnovo ©JOGsplash
Veliko Tarnovo ©JOGsplash
Veliko Tarnovo ©Luba Ertel
Veliko Tarnovo ©JOGsplash
Veliko Tarnovo ©Luba Ertel
Church ©Valery Balabanov
Church of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki ©David Stanley
Citadel ©Macchi
