Warwick (Queensland)
© Chris Olszewski
The area of present-day Warwick was first settled in the 19th century. In 1850, when the region was still part of New South Wales (NSW), the government plotted a town there, which was called Warwick. In 1859, Queensland was established and Warwick became part of it. In 1871, the southern railway was built and Warwick became one of the stops.
Points of interest
- Glengallan Homestead was constructed over a period from 1864 to 1940. It is llcated along the New England Highway in the town of Glengallan, not far from Warwick.
- Leslie Park was already planned in 1849. Only half of the originally planned park was laid out. It was named after the Leslie brothers, who established Queensland's earliest pastoral runs on the Darling Downs in 1840. The park includes Morgan Memorial (1911), the War Memorial (1923), the Gates of the War Memorial (1925), the Leslie Centenary Memorial Gates (1941) and the war trophy guns, which were relocated to Warwick in 1921.
- The Our Lady of Assumption Convent was originally built in 1892-1893. Additions were built to the convent between 1904 and 1914. In 1988, the Sisters of Mercy withdrew from the convent and it was converted into a school. In 1994, the building was renovated and it has been used as a reception center and a venue for weddings ever since. The building also provides accommodation. It is located at 8 Locke Street.
- Construction of the Pringle Cottage started in the 1860s and it was probably completed in the 1880s. The cottage is located at 81 Dragon Street.
- St. Mark's Anglican Church opened in 1868. It is located at 55 Albion Street.
- The Second St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church.
- Warwick Art Gallery.
- The Warwick Central State School was built in 1874-1875 from sandstone blocks. It is located at 55B Guy Street.
- The Warwick Court House and Police Complex comprises a group of timber and stone buildings that were built over a period from 1885 to 1914. The complex is located at 88 Fitzroy Street.
- Warwick East State School is also known as Warwick National School. It was built between 1864 and 1912 and it is the oldest state primary school in Queensland that still operates.
- Warwick Post Office was built in 1898 at 98 Palmerin Street on the cornor of Grafton Street.
- Warwick railway station.
- Warwick State High School was built in 1914-1915. More blocks were added in 1932 and in the 1950s and 1960s. The buildings are located at 15 Palmerin Street.
- Warwick Town Hall was built between 1887 and 1917. It is often referred to as the Footballers Memorial, because of the marble plaque on its front wall that commemorates 19 footballers of the Warwick Amateur Rugby League, who lost their lives during WWI. The town hall is located at 72 Palmerin Street.
- The Warwick Uniting Church was constructed over a period between 1869 and 1922. The first service was conducted in 1870, when the buildign was still unfinished. The sandstone building is located at 37 Guy Street, at the corner of Fitzroy Street. The church is also known as St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.
- The Warwick War Memorial
and its Gates were erected in 1923-1924. The memorial honours the 122 local men who died during WWI, while the gates commemorate the 377 who served and returned. The memorial is located in the southeast of Leslie Park.
There are several hotels and restaurants in Warwick. The town is located on the Condamine River in the southeast of Queensland. The Condamine River frequently floods, separating the northern part fo Warwick from its southern parts. Warwick is 130 km (81 mi) southwest of Brisbane.
Images
Warwick Town Hall on Palmerin Street ©Chris Olszewski
Warwick War Memorial ©Queensland State Archives
St. Mary's Catolic Church ©Bert Knottenbeld
St. Mary's Catolic Church ©Bert Knottenbeld
St. Mary's Catolic Church ©Bert Knottenbeld
